CLEAN UP YOUR DIET
It is important to maintain an extremely healthy and clean diet.
The GOAL is to keep your body as strong as possible, while reducing inflammation.
your diet should consist of
Home cooked meals from fresh ingredients (stay away from prepackaged “convenient” foods, this includes restaurant foods where ingredient and oil quality can be an issue)
- 80% of your diet should be fresh Fruits and Vegetables (the more raw the better) and organic whenever possible.
- 20% Healthy Fats and Lean Proteins (avocados, coconut oil, plant protein over animal protein whenever possible, ie nuts, seeds, etc)
WAYS TO INCORPORATE MORE FRUITS AND VEGETABLES IN YOUR DIET
- Change your portions to mostly fruits & vegetables on your plate. The Standard American Diet tends to have a small portion of vegetable with meat and grains being the largest portions. That needs to change.
- Add fruit smoothies with Spinach, Kale, or other leafy greens to your day
- Juicing with a slow masticating juicer (try adding 3-4 extra juices per day)
what to avoid
What you put in your body is either preventing or encouraging disease. We encourage you to cook homemade foods and remove anything that is “convenient” or comes in a box.
We advise that you remove the following:
- Eggs – have been shown to cause an inflammatory response in my people
- Artificial sweeteners (Splenda, Equal, aspartame, sorbitol, xylitol)
- Processed meats
- High mercury fish
- Refined vegetable oils (canola, corn, safflower, soy, sunflower, etc)
- Additives. Dyes, MSG
- Drinks (Soda, diet soda, milk, fruit juices, sports drinks, energy drinks, alcohol, caffeinated beverages)
- Refined Carbohydrates
Please careful of restaurant food where ingredient and oil quality are diminished
if eating and swallowing start to become a problem
Avoid Ensure (and similar products)—This is not a healthy choice. The first four ingredients are: water, sugar, corn syrup, and milk protein concentrate. Essentially, it’s sugar water.
Liquid hope is a preferred supplement and can be used in a feeding tube.
Consider a Feeding tube (a device that’s inserted into your stomach through your abdomen)—this will allow you to maintain proper nutrition even if or when eating or swallowing becomes an issue. Keeping your nutrition levels high will keep your mood up and add to the quality of your day.
Please note a feeding tube needs to be considered in sufficient time before it becomes necessary. If you start to become malnourished from lack of eating you could become too weak to handle the surgery. Speak to your doctor early.